This is another image I did for Indiana Jones: Adventure World. I often wind up coloring things a lot differently at work than I do at home and my coloring style changed again on this one so I thought I would post a gif of my process. Each frame is a different layer in photoshop and it went like this:
1. I wanted to get down a dramatic pose and put the figure at an angle to work better in the rectangular frame.
2. Added lines that emphasize the direction and to make into a spotlight because there’s no room for subtlety here.
3. Added the dinosaur. Put it going in the opposite direction so that the whole composition isn’t doing the same thing.
4. Blocked out the values.
5. Pulled out the dinosaur a bit more with another value layer.
6. Put down overlay blend layer in pure red at 100% opacity.
7. Put down a multiply blend layer at 100% opacity to put in the blue spot, and the reddish brown background with highlights on the figure.
8. Regular layer, put down some semi-transparent colors so that the red and the blue would shine through.
9. Polish! Most of the drawing and color blending happened here. I just worked with the colors that were already created underneath and cleaned it all up.
10-12. God Rays. Makes the blue portion of the page even lighter.
13. Static overlay!